Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Homemade Hand-Cut Noodles - "Malaysian Monday 80"





I had the urge to try my hands on noodle making prior to receiving my very first pasta machine. It is an easy enough task albeit a little messy but the result is enough to make the cleaning up a little less daunting.

In Malaysia, hand-cut noodles (ban mien 板麵) are served in a broth or with a  chili dressing and I will  have the recipes ready in the near future. Meanwhile do check out my simple stir fried hand-cut noodles with chicken and vegetables.

makes 2 serves
you'll need;
1 cup of flour
~1/3 cup of water
pinch of salt



Place flour on a work bench, make a well and slowly mix in the water together with a pinch of salt.



Knead dough for 5 minutes, cover and allow to rest for 5 to 8 minutes.



On a floured surface, roll out the dough to the desired thickness.



Flour the top of the dough and roll (the shorter side facing you) it loosely then cut into the desired width .



Unroll the noodles and dust with more flour to avoid the noodles sticking together.



Boil the noodles in plenty of hot water until al dente.



Refresh the drained noodles under a running tap, drain well before mixing a little vegetable oil to prevent the noodles sticking. The noodles are now ready to be used in a broth or a stir fry. 




I am the host for this month's event so please send all your entries to sureshchong@yahoo.com
To find out more about the event and on how to enter please click here.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! This looks so simple and yet so wonderful! Lovely post here, and beautiful photos!. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you going to have a crack at la-mian, next?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make mee hoon kueh using the same dough actually! but it is much more forgiveable as I just tear pieces off, I don't even knead muc, so inspired now to try my hand at ban mian, good one! I'm really impressed!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin