Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Nasi Kunyit 黃薑飯 Steamed Glutinous Rice With Turmeric And Coconut Milk - "Malaysian Monday 71"


I was about to write a rain cheque for this week's MM post but that was before I saw the delicious nasi lemak kuning (yellow coconut rice) at my favourite Makcik Manggis' blog Jom Masak ...Jom Makan-Makan. The fragrant coconut rice beautifully coloured with turmeric reminded me of something I cooked when my dear firend A came over for dinner one night.

Nasi kunyit (or turmeric rice in Malay) is a significant dish for the Peranakan/Nyonyasgiven out as  gift together with the likes of red eggs and ang ku kueh (red rice cakes with sweet filling in the shape of tortoise) to friends and relatives when a baby turn's one month's old. 

Traditionally served with chicken curry and that was exactly what I did when A came over to keep me company when the other tummy was away.

Please remember to head over to my friend Sharon's blog Test With Skewer to check out the 19th Muhibbah Malaysian Monday roundup!



serves 4 as a one dish meal
you'll need;
600 g of glutinous rice
2 tbs of turmeric powder
2 cups of water
2 pieces of asam keping (tamarind peel)* or a juice from half a lime
400 ml of coconut milk
pinch of salt
2 pandan leaves, knotted
Malaysian chicken curry to serve
cucumber and onion pickle to serve



Place washed glutinous rice in a large bowl and add in the water, turmeric powder, asam keping and water, stir well and leave it to soak overnight. Drain the rice well and discharge the asam keping and set aside the next day.



Place the soaked rice in a shallow bowl or a lined steamer, pour in half of coconut milk and a pinch of salt and mix well, place the knotted pandan leaves into the bowl, cover and steam over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes.



Mix in the rest of the coconut cream and mix well, cover and steam for a further 10 minutes.



Serve the fragrant turmeric rice with chicken curry. I decided to have some cucumber and onion pickles on the side to cut down the richness of the dish.



I am hosting this month's event so please send all your entries to me at sureshchong@yahoo.com, to find out more about Muhibbah Malaysian Monday and on how to participate, simply click HERE. I will be waiting!

15 comments:

  1. I wanted to make this for long long time and have been procrastinating. I should do it soon. What I see here makes me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your nasi kunyit looks so delicious, especially with the thick curry chicken....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so simple and beautiful! I really wish I could come over and try many of your dishes, that way I would know what they're supposed to taste like before I try to make them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photographs - I try to cook with turmeric as often as I can , its so good for you - this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Harriet From CarltonFebruary 8, 2012 at 3:09 PM

    That is a beautiful dish, love the brilliantly coloured rice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks so festive and inviting. The colour of the turmeric is truly stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love some for dinner tonight but this is more of a weekend dish for me lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. eh eh..macamana makcik terlepas pandang pulut kuning ni?sedapnya bila makan dgn kari ayam yum yum...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Today the average wedding can cost young couples, or their parents, thousands of pounds and what for? A dress that will probably only be worn once, an abundance of flowers, and an overpriced wedding venue where you will take pot luck on the quality and temperature of the food being served.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are so many fun choices that the bride can make for her beach wedding dresses when the plan is for a casual wedding. The theme sets the style of course, so the first job at hand is to decide if you want to stick to a specific theme, or simply keep it informal and casual on the day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. SA Rawther Spices is the largest processor and exporter of black pepper and dry ginger in India, apart from having a good track record in the international trade of coffee, turmeric, cloves, chillies, nutmeg and other products.

    ReplyDelete
  12. SA Rawther Spices is the largest processor and exporter of black pepper and dry ginger in India, apart from having a good track record in the international trade of coffee, turmeric, cloves, chillies, nutmeg and other products.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post . Thanks so much for posting. Best Regards!

    ReplyDelete
  14. 3 Researches SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you literally get rid of fat by consuming coconut fats (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from big medical magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin