Thursday, October 13, 2011

Dry Tossed Egg Noodles With Char Siu 叉燒撈麵



I suggested a few different ways to enjoy the homemade cha siu from my previous post but serving it as topping atop some dry tossed egg noodles has to be top of my list.

This is a typical way of serving cha siu noodles in the northern part of the Malaysia Peninsular; dressed dark and glossy with the flavoured fat and caramel sauce, often accompanied with a bowl of broth with a few wontons as supporting act. Give me some pickled green chillies with soy on the side is enough to transport me back home instantly.

I realized I have posted a halal version using homemade chicken char siu a little while back, do check out chicken char siu noodles if you are not a fan of pork.



recipe per serve
you'll need;
fresh egg noodles, allow 1.5 to 2 noodles per person
generous piece of homemade or shop bought char siu
choysum or bokchoy, washed and cut into manageable lengths
spring onions, chopped
pickled green chillies with soy to serve
sliced bird chillies with soy to serve

dressing for the noodles;
1.5 tbs of shallot oil , garlic oil or chicken oil or lard
1.5 tbs of light soy
1.5 tbs or caramel sauce
1 tbs of oyster sauce
1 tsp of castor sugar
dash of white pepper



Loosen the egg noodles and prepare the greens. Meanwhile bring a pot of water to a boil.



Cut char siu into 2 to 3 mm slices and prepare the dressing for the noodles.



Cook noodles in the boiling water for 15 seconds, remove and rinse in a big pot of cold water. When the pot of water returns to a boil, return the noodles to the pot and cook for a further 15 seconds or until al dente.



Mix drained noodles in the dressing.



Top with char siu slices, blanched greens and chopped spring onions. Serve with some pickled green chillies with soy or condiments of your choice.

11 comments:

  1. Taste of home! I think i need to buy some char siu tonight hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! I love char siu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for including instructions for preparing those noodles. For whatever reason, when I use those fresh noodles they never unclump for me ... or they simply fall to bits in the water. The dish looks brilliant btw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg is it wrong to want this for breakfast? x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why can't they do the dark dressing here? This is way better than what I normally get from the bbq restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. back from a big night out n this is a perfect meal now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We made this last night with shop bought char siu and it was a hit with the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  8. just wondering - what is caramel sauce? thinking of making this with my frozen char siew :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just tried your recipe with the wontons....just like back in Malaysia when growing up as a child!!!! Thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cannot wait to try this tonight!! I have some frozen Char Siu waiting for this dish. I like to add a BIG sprinkle of fried Shallots too!(sprinkle may not be the correct unit of measurement when i use fried shallots in anything...)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin