Saturday, May 21, 2011

Lebanese Chicken Soup (Shourabat Djaj)



It seems to me almost every culture has a chicken soup that is considered a tonic and there is no exception for the Lebanese. Though I am not too sure about the healing power of this soup but it certainly tastes great and I see it as a wonderful way to end our short tour to the Middle East and North Africa, especially after all the previous dishes which were laden with quite a lot of spices. This gentle soup is light and very easy on the palate so it is not difficult to understand why it is generally served when someone is feeling unwell.



recipe adapted from Abla's Lebanese Kitchen
serves 4
you'll need;
2 chicken breasts
2 l of chicken stock
1 cinnamon stick
2 bay leaves
1 brown onion, finely chopped
1 cup finely chopped parsley, including stems
3 tomatoes, chopped
1/2 tsp of allspice
1/2 cup of crushed egg vermicelli
salt and pepper to taste



Prepare the onion and tomatoes.



Prepare the parsley and egg vermicelli.



Place chicken, bay leaves and cinnamon stick in a pot and slowly bring it to a simmer. Put the lid on and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove chicken from the pot and allow to cool and discharge the bay leaves and cinnamon stick. When chicken is cool enough to handle, shred and cut into bite size pieces and set aside.



Add onion, parsley and tomatoes into the stock and bring it to a simmer.



Add allspice, season with salt and pepper and return chicken to the pot and continue to cook for a further 20 minutes.





Finally add egg vermicelli and cook for a further 2 to 3 minutes.



Serve immediately with some extra chopped parsley and let the healing process begins.

13 comments:

  1. Hi tummy..sedapnya jika dapat hirup sup panas begini jika badan kurang sihat....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had Lebanese food, I believe. This looks like something I would gladly eat. Reminds me of Ayam Soto...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love this version of chicken soup...just a comfort factor. It sounds like the flavors would bend nicely. I am adding this to my "to-make" list. (for some reason I have many of your recipes there, and on my "have-made" list)

    Cheers,
    Lyndsey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Une soupe des plus délicieuses.
    J'aime beaucoup.
    A très bientôt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one-dish meal looks so appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have never tasted lebanese food and this looks like a very nice dish. i am cooking soup at the moment too but a pork broth soup.

    nice for this cooler month

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would this work the same with angel hair pasta you think? Great soup for a cold day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I aint sure what the healing power is but I think it will just make the cold weather much more bearable :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. UNA SOPA EXQUISITA DELICIOSA Y MUY BIEN ELANORADA ,CARIÑOS .

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was delicious - thanks so much for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My brother recommended I may like this web site.

    He used to be totally right. This submit truly made my day.
    You can not believe just how a lot time I had spent for this info!

    Thanks!

    My blog post ... precon diät

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin