Friday, October 1, 2010

Phat Horapha Gai Sab ผัดโหระพาไก่สับ Stir Fried Minced Chicken With Thai Basil




One of the tummies loves phat kaphrao (stir fries with holy basil) and is quite happy to have that more than once a week. This is a good thing as I am able to start cooking tofu again while he enjoy his phat kraphrao. The only problem is holy basil is not that commonly available; so when holy basil (bai kraphrao) is nowhere to be found, thai basil (bai horapha)becomes the next best thing. The end result is almost as delicious with the substitute and there is nothing wrong with using this cheaper herb (60 cents as opposed to $2.80/bunch) but just don't refer to it as phat kraphrao because the is no kraphrao in it! This is also what you normally get when you ask for the former in a Thai eating place which I did mention in one of my older post - Phat kraphrao Gai (chicken fried with holy basil). Happy cooking and have a great weekend!
P.S Indian week coming up next so stay tuned!



recipe per serve
you'll need;
250 g of chicken mince
a handful of green beans, cut into 1/2 cm rings
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
3 bird chillies, chopped (adjust the amount according to your preference)
1/2 a bunch of Thai basil (bai harapha)
1 tbs of oyster sauce
1 tbs of fish sauce
1/2 tbs of sugar
dash of mountain sauce or Maggi seasoning sauce
1 fried egg to serve


Prepare the ingredients.



Saute garlic and chillies then add in the chicken mince, cook on high heat for a minute.



Add green beans and continue to cook for a further minute.



Add seasonings and cook until the meat is cook through, add Thai basil and cook for 30 seconds before turning off the heat. Check for seasonings.



Serve on a bed of steamed rice and a perfectly cooked egg of course.

26 comments:

  1. I can see why the tummy is happy to have this for more than once every week. It looks so good with the fried egg with runny egg yolk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great one-dish meal especially with the perfectly cooked egg!

    ReplyDelete
  3. woah...looks so delicious...yummy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Opps! I have been calling this phat kraprao..how embarrassing! Looks very delicious with the runny egg!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am mightily embarrassed to say that I had no idea that there was a difference between Thai basil and holy basil!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Harriet from CarltonOctober 1, 2010 at 6:17 PM

    You certainly know how to tempt us with that runny egg! Looks delicious as always!

    ReplyDelete
  7. arghhh... sangat sedap tengok daging itu! dengan telur separuh masak cenggitu saya sangat suka!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't tell you how much I love this dish..not that I can't tell the difference btw holy and thai basil lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laaa Kak Hana...kihkihkih...kita chop2 dish tu bersama ya! :D

    Tummy, brought U some mutton rendang...exchange with minced chicken stirfry, okey...;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very tempting and droolworthy dish..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Baru makan telur mata kerbau dgn roti..satu lagi resepi dari Tummy yang sedap dan senang..anda mmg hebat:)semua yg dimasak nampak sedap:)..

    eh LOVE..Hana..awalnya sampai ke dapur Tummy hehe..cm bawa teh cina je untuk Tummy hihi

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love this for my lunch!! Delish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. yum i love this dish! it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. hehee...I liked this very much and I always eat this at the foodcourt ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum! I like this kind of food.. very simple but full of flavours!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks so tasty! Love how you served it with a sunny side up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The egg did me in! Delicious! Don't know holy basil - but love that name... now am wishing by thai basil was still with me. Nothing is so sad at the end of summer than the end of all the basil.

    ReplyDelete
  18. looks delicious especially serving with sunny side up, yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The aroma from basil is coming till here...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this dish.. simple home cook meal... delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. very tempting is the look...I would be delighted to savor it whole...very luscious...:)

    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi there, This looks SO yummy! That egg looks perfect! I am going to make your Pork Prik King tomorrow and wanted to know what your preferred red curry paste is. We have tried a few and find them lacking or too salty. LOVE your blog, the photos are amazing, the recipes look delicious and I love the info you include :)
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Will definitely cook this dish as I've got fresh basil in my garden. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It looks like a great combination of ingredients!
    Will definitely cook this meal.

    Thanks for sharing such unique recipes!

    Big hugs!!!!!!

    B xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks lovely, and I can get Thai basil! I can't wait to try it. I think I could eat it once a week too!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin