Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Khao Kua ข้าวคั่ว Roasted Rice Powder


This is a must have ingredient for Issarn style salad dishes like larb and nam tok. I have seen ready made khao kua in some Asian grocers but why not make your own for next to nothing? All you need is some uncooked jasmine rice and 5 minutes of your time. Do make a larger quantity as this will keep well in an airtight container for up to 3 months.

Dry roast 1/2 cup of jasmine rice in a hot pan, stir constantly til rice is toasty and golden.

When rice has cooled down a little, pound it in a mortal and pestle (or a spice grinder) I like my khao kua to be a little coarse for the extra texture.

Ready to be used in Issarn dishes like nam dtok (waterfall beef salad) and larb

5 comments:

  1. Thankyou! I love a post like this that expands my knowledge and changes my pantry that lovely little bit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Priya,
    Thank you!

    Joy,
    I am so glad to hear that. thank you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is something I learnt today. Good one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! Happy day! I can totally do this!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin